Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hyde Park Art Center Tour!


Even though I was not able to find a workshop to do at Hyde Park Art Center, my art seminar teacher, Martina, asked me if I would like to have a private tour of the center given by one of her friends that works there! How could I say no?! We met up early in the morning and had some much needed warm drinks at the adorable cafe attached to HPAC. Martina's friend Darrell Roberts met up with us and took us into the classroom section of the center. This is the portal you go through to get to the classrooms!!!
The coke machine is actually a door! How cool is that! Martina agreed to be my wonderful model. The classrooms are pretty standard and really efficient. They have a darkroom too. Definite plus in my book. They are also in the process of expanding the rooms and changing some of the set up. 

Next we got to see the gallery space. It is so open and bright with a bank of windows letting in a ton of natural light. There is even a walkway above the gallery so you can go upstairs and view it from the top. I was also able to get a really informative view on some important Chicago artists who exhibit their art at HPAC. Here's a little glimpse into the gallery from the hallway...not exactly the best shot of the gallery but this is what the main thoroughfare looks like.
The tour went on to visit another gallery space and the resident artists' hallway. Every corner turned and every door opened seemed to lead to an entire wing. The center is set up so nicely and has a very effective use of space. I also got to meet the director who is SO nice! She actually started out as an intern at HPAC, there is hope for us all! I picked up a volunteer form for the summer. I was so lucky to tag along with Martina to experience this great art venue. I wish I could have taken a workshop there! I am in love. It was a wonderful morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment